Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PRESCOT

PRESCOT, a town, a township, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Lancashire. The town stands 2 miles N E of Huyton r. station, 2 N W of Rainhill r.station, and 8 E by N of Liverpool; is a seat of petty sessions; publishes a weekly newspaper; carries on extensive manufacture of watch-movements, watch-tools, and files; participates in the coal trade; containsbreweries and manufactories of coarse earthenware and sanitary tubes; and has a head post-office, ‡ a town hall, a church, three dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholicchapel, a grammar school, a public lending library, afloral and horticultural society, a harmonic society, several endowed alms-houses, and aggregate charities £898. The church is ancient, in mixed architecture; comprises nave, aisles, transept, chancel, and porches; has a tower and spire 156 feet high, rebuilt in 1789; and contains a beautiful monument by Chantrey to W. Atherton, Esq., and several other monuments. The Roman Catholic chapel is a fine stone edifice, in the Gothic style. The grammar school is in two departments, lower and higher; and has £197 a year from endowment, and an interest in 7 fellowships and 2 exhibitions at Brasenose college, Oxford. Markets are heldon Tuesdays and Saturdays; fortnightly fairs for cattle, from Shrove-Tuesday till the first Tuesday of May; and general fairs, on Ash-Wednesday, 24 and 25 Aug., 21 Oct., and 1 Nov. The town includes all P. township, and part of Eccleston township. Pop. in 1851, 7, 393; in 1861, 6,066. Houses, 1, 204. The township comprises 270 acres. Real property, £15, 224; of which £1, 500 are in mines, and £60 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 6, 393; in 1861, 5, 130. Houses, 1,015. The manor belongs to King's College, Cambridge. The parish contains also the townships of Eccleston, Whiston, Rain-hill, Sutton, Parr, Windle, Rainford, Bold, Widnes, Ditton, Cronton, Great Sankey, Cuerdley, and Penketh; and is ecclesiastically cut into the sections of Prescot, Eccleston, St. Thomas, Eccleston-Christchurch, St. Helens, ParrMount, Parr, Farnworth, Rainford, Rain-hill, Great Sankey, and Widnes. Acres, 36, 554; of which 710 are water. Real property, £277, 878; of which £41, 375 are in mines, £472 in quarries, £735 in iron-works, £48,089 in railways, £199 in canals, and £2, 635 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 46, 527; in 1861, 63.540. Houses, 11, 288. The living of Prescot is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £1, 200.* Patron, Kings College, Cambridge The other livingsare noticed in the articles on their own several localities.

The sub-district contains the townships of Prescot, Whiston, Rainhill, and part of Eccleston. Pop. in 1851, 12, 762; in 1861, 12, 377. Houses, 2, 389. The district comprehends also the sub-district of St. Helens, containing the townships of Sutton, Parr, Windle, and part of Eccleston; the sub-district of Rainford, conterminate with the township of Rainford; the sub-district of Farnworth, containing the townships of Bold, Widnes, Ditton, and Cronton; the sub-district of Huyton, containing the parish of Huyton and the hamlet of Thing-wall; the sub-district of Much Woolton, containing all Much Woolton township, except Thingwall hamlet, and all Little Woolton township; and the sub-district of Hale, containing the townships of Hale, Halewood, and Speke. Acres, 56, 859. Poor-rates in 1863, £17, 811 Pop. in 1851, 56,074; in 1861, 73, 127. Houses, 13,052. Marriages in 1863, 553; births, 3, 324, of which 169were illegitimate; deaths, 1, 678, of which 803 were at ages under 5 years, and 15 at ages above 85. Marriagesin the ten years 1851-60, 4, 879; births, 26, 568; deaths, 15, 256. The places of worship, in 1851, were 20 of the Church of England, with 14, 346 sittings; 4 of Independents, with 1,848 s.; 1 of Baptists, with 60 s.; 2 of Unitarians, with 530 s.; 11 of Wesleyans, with 2, 757 s.; 2of Primitive Methodists, with 255 s.; 2 of the Wesleyan Association, with 650 s.; 1 undefined, with 128 s.; 1of Latter-Day Saints, with 200 s.; and 7 of Roman Catholics, with 3, 320 s. The schools were 45 public day-schools, with 5, 593 scholars; 65 private day-schools, with 1, 929 s.; 67 Sunday schools, with 5, 454 s.; and 9 evening schools for adults, with 105 s. The workhouse is in Whiston; and, at the census of 1861, had 155 inmates.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a town, a township, a parish, a sub-district, and a district"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Prescot CP/AP       Prescot SubD       Prescot PLU/RegD       Lancashire AncC
Place: Prescot

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.