Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PUCKLECHURCH

PUCKLECHURCH, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Gloucester. The village stands 2 miles N E of Mangotsfield r. station, and 4 S S W of Chipping-Sodbury; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Bristol. The parish contains also the hamlet of Short-wood, and is in Chipping-Sodbury district. Acres, 2, 428. Real property, £7, 343; of which £980 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 931; in 1861, 1, 265. Houses, 231. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Radnor. Shortwood lodge is the seat of H. Cosham, Esq. There are several coal pits. Edward the Elder was killed here by the robber Leolfa. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacies of Abson, Wick, and Westerleigh, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £765.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is early English; was recently restored; and has a tower, and three monuments. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school, an endowed school with £53 a year, and charities £12. The hundred contains also four other parishes. Acres, 12, 879. Pop., 5, 121. Houses, 1,041.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a hundred"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Pucklechurch AP/CP       Pucklechurch Hundred       Gloucestershire AncC
Place: Pucklechurch

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.