Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PUTFORD (West)

PUTFORD (West), a village and a parish in Bideford district, Devon. The village stands on the river Torridge, 9½ miles S W of Bideford r. station; and issmall and scattered. The parish contains also the hamlets of Colscott, Thriverdon, and Wed field. Post-town, Holsworthy, North Devon. Acres, 2, 620. Real property, £1, 765. Pop., 362. Houses, 75. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to W. May, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £186.* Patron, the Rev. J. L. May. The church iscruciform, and has a W tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: West Putford AP/CP       Bideford PLU/RegD       Devon AncC
Place names: PUTFORD     |     PUTFORD WEST     |     WEST PUTFORD
Place: West Putford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.