Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PWLLHELI

PWLLHELI, a town, a sub-district, and a district, in Carnarvon. The town stands on the W coast of the Lleyn peninsula, at the mouth of the Penkos river, and at the terminus of a branch of the Carnarvonshire railway, 20 miles S S W of Carnarvon; was chartered by the Black Prince, and given by him to Nigel de Lohayren; is governed by a mayor, 4 aldermen, and 12 councillors; unites with Carnarvon, Bangor, Conway, Criccieth, and Nevin, in sending a member to parliament; is a sub-port to Carnarvon, a seat of petty sessions, and a polling-place; is also a sea-bathing resort, with a very fine beach4 miles long; exhibits a well-built appearance, with recent extensions and improvements; enjoys charming environs, with stand-points commanding magnificentviews of the Merioneth coast; and has a head post-office, ‡a railway station, four banking offices, a good head inn, a town hall of 1818, assembly-rooms, a church, five dissenting chapels, two public schools, and a workhouse Markets are held on Wednesdays and Saturdays: fairsare held on 15 March, 22 May, 28 June, 13 Aug., 24 Sept., and 11 Nov.; a considerable inland trade is done with most of Lleyn; and ship-building, extensive fishing, and a coasting commerce are carried on. The harbouris formed by the mouth of the Penkos river; admitsvessels of 500 tons; has, at its mouth, Carreg-yr-Imbill, or the Gimlet rock; and has been improved by the formation of a large embankment to resist encroachment by the sea. The borough boundaries were formerly identical with those of Denio parish; but they now include also parts of Abererch and Llannor parishes. Pop. of the old borough in 1851, 2, 331; in 1861, 2, 420. Houses, 567. Pop. of the new borough in 1851, 2, 709; in 1861, 2, 818. Houses, 679.

The sub-district contains the parishes of Denio, Llannor, Penrhos, Llanfihangel-Bachellaeth, Llanbedrog, Llangian, Llanengan, and Llandegwning. Acres, 23, 526. Pop., 6, 579. Houses, 1, 502. The district comprehends also the sub-district of Criccieth, containing the parishes of Criccieth, Llanystymdwy, Abererch, Llanarmon, Llangybi, Llanaelhaiarn, and Carngiwch; the sub-district of Nevin, containing the parishes of Nevin, Pistill, Ceidio, Bodvean, Llandudwen, Edeyrn, Tydweiliog, and Llaniestyn; and the sub-district of Aberdaron, containing the parishes of Aberdaron, Llanfaelrhys, Rhiw, Bryn-croes, Bod ferin, Llangwnadle, Penllech, Meyllteyrn, and Bottwnog, and the extra-parochial tract of Bardsey Isle. Acres, 93, 319. Poor-rates in 1863, £12, 927. Pop. in 1851, 21, 788; in 1861, 20, 908. Houses, 4, 751. Marriagesin 1863, 117; births, 550, of which 66 were illegitimate; deaths, 394, of which 99 were at ages under 5 years, and 20 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years1851-60, 1, 229; births, 5, 691; deaths, 3, 932. The places of worship, in 1851, were 30 of the Church of England, with 7, 219 sittings; 20 of Independents, with 3, 111s.; 12 of Baptists, with 1, 603 s.; 9 of Wesleyans, with 1, 205 s.; 35 of Calvinistic Methodists, with 8, 915 s.; and 1 undefined, with 444 s. The schools were 26 public day schools, with 1, 283 scholars; 9 private day schools, with 235 s.; and 89 Sunday schools, with 8, 508 s.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a town, a sub-district, and a district"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Pwllheli AP/CP       Pwllheli PLU/RegD       Caernarvonshire AncC
Place: Pwllheli

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.