Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for QUETHIOCK, or Quithick

QUETHIOCK, or Quithick, a parish in St. Germans district, Cornwall; on the rivers Lynher and Tidy, 2½ miles N E of Menheniot r. station, and 4 E of Liskeard. Post-town, Liskeard. Acres, 4, 531. Real property, £5, 155. Pop., 728. Houses, 133. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to A. Coryton, Esq. Stone and slate are quarried, and manganese has been worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £326.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient but good; has a tower; and contains a curious brass of 1462, and other brasses. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £4. A cattle fair is held on 30 Jan.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Quethiock CP/AP       St Germans PLU/RegD       Cornwall AncC
Place names: QUETHIOCK     |     QUETHIOCK OR QUITHICK     |     QUITHICK
Place: Quethiock

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.