Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for RAINTON (East)

RAINTON (East), a township and a chapelry in Houghton-le-Spring parish, Durhamshire. The township lies 2 miles N E of Leamside-Junction r. station, and 5 N E by N of Durham. Post-town, Fence-Houses. Acres, 1,065. Real property, £5, 870; of which £829are in railway s. Pop. in 1851, 1, 695; in 1861, 1, 505. Houses, 339. Most of the inhabitants are miners. The chapelry comprises part of E. R. township and all Moors-ley. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was built in 1866; is in the early decorated English style; and has a bell-turret. There is a Wesleyan chapel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: East Rainton Tn/CP       Houghton le Spring AP/CP       County Durham AncC
Place names: EAST RAINTON     |     RAINTON     |     RAINTON EAST
Place: East Rainton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.