Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for RAINTON (West)

RAINTON (West), a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Houghton-le-Spring parish, Durhamshire. The village stands ¾ of a mile N E of Leamside-Junction r.station, and 4¼ N E by N of Durham; and has a post-office under Fence-Houses. The township comprises 1, 788 acres. Real property, £5, 722; of which £2, 100 are in mines, and £810 in railway s. Pop., 1, 447. Houses, 308. The manor belonged once to a convent at Durham, and belongs now to the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The chapelry is more extensive than the township; and was constituted in 1838, and re-constructed in 1866. Pop., about 3,000. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £310.* Patron, the Bishop of Durham. A new church was built in 1864. There are a Wesleyan chapel and national schools.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Houghton le Spring AP/CP       West Rainton Tn/CP       County Durham AncC
Place names: RAINTON     |     RAINTON WEST     |     WEST RAINTON
Place: West Rainton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.