Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for REDLINGFIELD

REDLINGFIELD, a parish, with a village, in Hartismere district, Suffolk; 3 miles S E of Eye, and 6 E S E of Mellis r. station. Post-town, Eye. Acres, 1,075. Real property, £1, 604. Pop., 203. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Sir R. S. Adair, Bart. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here, in 1120, by Manasses, Earl of Guisnez; and was given, at the dissolution, to the Bedingfields. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £71. Patron, Sir R. S. Adair, Bart. The church was the chapel of the ancient nunnery. Charities, £50.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Redlingfield ExP/AP/CP       Hartismere PLU/RegD       Suffolk AncC
Place: Redlingfield

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.