Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for RHIW

RHIW, a village and a parish in Pwllheli district, Carnarvon. The village stands on high rugged ground, adjacent to the head of Hells-Mouth bay, 10½ miles S W of Pwllheli r. station. The parish comprises 1, 493 acres of land, and 160 of foreshore; and its post town is Llan-engan, under Pwllheli. Real property, £807. Pop., 370. Houses, 87 The property is divided among a few. Myndd-Rhiw has an altitude of 1,013 feet The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Llandudwen, in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £97.* Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is early English.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Rhiw AP/CP       Pwllheli PLU/RegD       Caernarvonshire AncC
Place: Rhiw

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.