Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ROGATE

ROGATE, a village and a parish in Midhurst district, Sussex. The village stands on the river Rother, 1 mile N of the Midhurst and Petersfield railway, and 5 W by N of Midhurst; and has a station jointly with Hartingon the railway, a post-office under Petersfield, and a fair on 27 Sept. The parish comprises 4, 873 acres. Real property, £4, 459. Pop. in 1851, 1, 117; in 1861, 990. Houses, 208. The property is divided among a few. The manor of R. is part of Hertinges manor; belonged, in the time of Edward III., to Ralph de Camois; passed to the Crown; and was given, in the time of Henry VIII., to the Earl of Southampton. The manor of Wenhamincludes most of the parish; and, with Rogate Lodge, belongs to H. G. Wyndham, Esq. Fair Oak is the seat of the Hon. J. J. Carnegie; and Fyning House, of Col. Simpson,B. An ancient tower stood about ½ a milefrom the village; was probably erected by the family of De Camois; and has left vestiges within a fosse. Asmall Premonstratensian canonry was founded at Dureford Abbey, about 1169, by Henry Hoese. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £330. Patron, the Crown. The church is ancient.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Rogate CP/AP       Midhurst PLU/RegD       Sussex AncC
Place: Rogate

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.