Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ROSHERVILLE

ROSHERVILLE, a chapelry in Northfleet parish, Kent; on the river Thames and on the North Kent railway, adjacent to Gravesend. It includes the hamlet of Lower Perry-Street; and it was constituted in 1853. Post-town, Gravesend. Pop. in 1861, 1, 498. Houses, 302. Numerous good residences stand on a considerableeminence, overlooking chalk cliffs, the river ' Thames, and the low lands of Essex; and R. gardens are a great feature, but have been noticed in our article on Gravesend. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £300.* Patron, G. Rosher, Esq. The church is a handsome modern edifice, in the transition style. There is a national school, a neat edifice in the pointed style.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Northfleet CP/AP       Kent AncC
Place: Rosherville

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.