Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for RUSTON (East)

RUSTON (East), a parish, with a scattered village, in Tunstead district, Norfolk; 5½ miles E by S of North Walsham r. station. Post-town, Stalham, under Norwich. Acres, 2, 494. Real property, £5,041. Pop., 757. Houses, 171. There is a commonage of 300 acresfor pasture and fuel. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Redlington, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is ancient. There is a national school. Porson, thecelebrated Greek scholar, was a native.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a scattered village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: East Ruston AP/CP       Smallburgh PLU/Inc/RegD       Norfolk AncC
Place names: EAST RUSTON     |     RUSTON     |     RUSTON EAST
Place: East Ruston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.