Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SALTFORD

SALTFORD, a village and a parish in Keynsham district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Avon, adjacent to the Great Western railway, 5 miles W N W of Bath; is a neat and pleasant place; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office, designated Saltford, Somerset. The parish comprises 880 acres. Real property, £2, 522. Pop., 373. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. S. House is the seat of Vice-Admiral B. M. Kelly. S. tunnel, on the railway, is approached through a deep cutting in lias rocks, and is 499 feet long. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £200.* Patron, J. G. Hill, Esq. The church was restored in 1851. There is an endowed school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Saltford CP/AP       Keynsham PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Saltford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.