Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SARSDEN

SARSDEN, a parish in Chipping-Norton district, Oxford; on the river Evenlode, 2 miles E of Chipping-Norton-Junction r. station. Post-town, Chipping-Norton. Acres, 1, 770. Real property, £2, 217. Pop., 166. Houses, 33. The manor belongs to Earl Ducie. S. House is the seat of Lady Julia Langston. There is a Saxon or Danish camp. The living is a rectory, united with Churchill, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £262.* Patron, Earl Ducie. The church is ancient. There are an endowed school with £53 a year, and charities £5.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Sarsden CP/AP       Chipping Norton PLU/RegD       Oxfordshire AncC
Place: Sarsden

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.