Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SEAL

SEAL, a village and a parish in Farnborough district, Surrey. The village stands under a long chalk ridge, 1½mile S S E of Tongham r. station, and 4 E by N of Farnham; and has a post-office under Farnham. The parish contains also the hamlet of Tongham, and comprises 2, 967 acres. Real property, £3, 636; of which £10 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 508; in 1861, 669. Houses, 135. The property is subdivided. Poyle Park and Hampton Lodge are chief residences. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £44. Patron, the Archdeacon of Surrey. The church was mostly rebuilt in 1861. The p. curacy of Tongham is a separate benefice. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Seale and Tongham Ch/AP/CP       Farnborough RegD       Surrey AncC
Place: Seale

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.