Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SEMINGTON

SEMINGTON, a chapelry in Steeple-Ashton parish, Wilts; on the Kennet and Avon canal, near the Mid Wilts railway, 2 miles E S E of Holt-Junction r. station, and 3½ N E of Trowbridge. It has a post-office under Trowbridge. Real property, with Littleton, £3, 308. Pop. in 1861, 427; of whom 160 were in Melksham workhouse. Houses, 60. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Staple-Ashton. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Semington Ch/CP       Steeple Ashton AP/CP       Wiltshire AncC
Place: Semington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.