Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SEVERN-STOKE

SEVERN-STOKE, a village and a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester. The village stands on the river Severn, 2½ miles N of Upton r. station; commands fine views of the Malvern hills; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Worcester. The parish contains also the hamlet of Kinnersley, and comprises 3, 269acres. Real property, £6, 794. Pop., 679. Houses, 158. The manor belongs to the Earl of Coventry. S. End was a seat of the Lechmeres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £766.* Patron, the Earl of Coventry. The church is good; and there are a national school, and charities £13.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Severn Stoke CP/AP       Upton upon Severn PLU/RegD       Worcestershire AncC
Place: Severn Stoke

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.