Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SHIPPON

SHIPPON, a township-chapelry in Abingdon-St. Helen parish, Berks; 1 mile WNW of Abingdon r. station. Post town, Abingdon. Real property, £2,983. Pop., 211. Houses, 44. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, not reported. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township-chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Abingdon St Helen CP/AP       Berkshire AncC
Place: Shippon

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.