Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SHIPTON-UNDER-WYCHWOOD

SHIPTON-UNDER-WYCHWOOD, a village in Chipping-Norton district, and a parish partly also in Witney district, Oxford. The village stands on the river Evenlode, near the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway, 4 miles NNE of Burford; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Chipping-Norton. The parish includes the chapelry of Leafield, the townships of Milton and Ramsden, the hamlets of Lyneham and Langley, and a large tract of Wychwood forest. Acres, 10,750. Real property, £13,326. Pop. in 1851, 2,958; in 1861, 3,163. Houses, 660. The property is much subdivided. S. manor belongs to J. Kilby, Esq.; Leafield and Langley manors, to Lord Churchill; and Milton manor, to the Earl of Ducie. S. Court, a fine old Tudor mansion, lately the seat of Sir J.Reade, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £335.* Patron, the Bishop of O. The church is partly early English, and was restored in 1859. Some remains of a monastery, in later English architecture, adjoin the churchyard. The vicarages of Leafield and Ramsden are separate benefices. There are five national schools, and charities £97.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Witney PLU/RegD       Oxfordshire AncC
Place: Shipton under Wychwood

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.