Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SILEBY

SILEBY, a village and a parish in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicester. The village stands on the Midland railway, 1½ mile E by N of Mountsorrel; consists chiefly of two streets, crossing each other nearly at right angles; is traversed by the railway on a lofty embankment and viaduct; and has a post-office under Loughborough. The parish comprises 2,190 acres. Real property, £5,914. Pop., 1,572. Houses, 377. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to W. A. Pochin, Esq. The manufacture of hosiery is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £158.* Patron, W. A. Pochin, Esq. The church is decorated English, and has a fine lofty pinnacled tower. There are three dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £43.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Sileby AP/CP       Barrow upon Soar PLU/RegD       Leicestershire AncC
Place: Sileby

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.