Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SLAD

SLAD, a chapelry, with a village, in Painswick parish, Gloucester; 2½ miles NE of Stroud r. station. It was constituted in 1844; and its Post town is Stroud. Pop., 874. Houses, 184. Lypiat Park is a chief residence. There is a cloth factory. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £135.* Patron, the Vicar of Painswick. The church is modern.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Painswick AP/CP       Gloucestershire AncC
Place: Slad

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.