Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SMALLEY

SMALLEY, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Morley parish, Derby; 2½ miles E of Coxbench r. station, and 4 WNW of Ilkeston. It has a post-office‡ under Derby. Acres, 1,578. Real property, £3,059. Pop., 721. Houses, 159. The property is divided among a few. The manor-house is the residence of J. Radford, Esq.; and Kidsley Park belongs to W. D. Lowe, Esq. The living is annexed to Morley. The church was restored and enlarged in 1863. There are a Baptist meeting-house, a national school for girls, a well endowed boys' school, and charities of £40 per annum to poor old colliers.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township-chapelry, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Morley CP/AP       Smalley Ch/CP       Derbyshire AncC
Place: Smalley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.