Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SOUTHFLEET

SOUTHFLEET, a village and a parish in Dartford district, Kent. The village stands near Watling-street, 3 miles SW of Gravesend r. station; originated in the Roman station Vagniacæ, on Watling-street; was known at Domesday as Suthfleta; took that name and its present one from a flete or creek, which came to it from the Thames at Northfleet, but is now shut out by an embankment; is much frequented by visitors; and has a post-office under Gravesend. The parish contains also the hamlets of Betsam and Westwood, and the gardens of Spring-Head, famous for water-cresses. Acres, 2,340. Real property, £4,856. Pop., 717. Houses, 155. The property is divided among a few. Many Roman relics, including a milestone, a sarcophagus, earthen vessels, glass urns, trinkets, and coins, have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £789.* Patron, the Bishop of R. The church is decorated English. There is an endowed school with £20 a year.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Southfleet CP/AP       Dartford PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place names: SOUTHFLEET     |     SUTHFLETA
Place: Southfleet

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.