Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SPARKFORD

SPARKFORD, a parish, with a village and a r. station, in Wincanton district, Somerset; on the Wilts and Somerset railway, 4¾ miles SSW of Castle-Cary. Post town, Ilchester, under Taunton. Acres, 950. Real property, 1,968. Pop., 305. Houses, 58. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to the Rev. H. Bennett. Bronze celts and Roman relics are found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £266.* Patron, the Rev. H. Bennett. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1824.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village and a r station"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Sparkford CP/AP       Wincanton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Sparkford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.