Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for STAPLETON

STAPLETON, a township and a parish in Longtown district, Cumberland. The township lies 6 miles SE of Penton r. station, and 9 ENE of Longtown. Acres, 4,495. Real property, £2,720. Pop., 462. Houses, 89. The parish contains also Solport, Trough, and Bellbank townships; and comprises 11,335 acres. Post town, Longtown, under Carlisle. Pop. in 1851, 1,119; in 1861, 984. Houses, 183. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £98.* Patrons, the Earl of Carlisle and Sir F. U. Graham, Bart. The church was rebuilt in 1830.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Stapleton AP/CP       Longtown PLU/RegD       Cumberland AncC
Place: Stapleton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.