Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for STOCKBURY

STOCKBURY, a parish, with a village, in Hollingbourn district, Kent; 2½ miles SSW of Newington r. station, and 4¾ WSW of Sittingbourne. It has a post-office under Sittingbourne. Acres, 2,940. Real property, £3,868. Pop., 613. Houses, 115. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £325.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is early English, cruciform, and good. There are a dissenting chapel, a national school, and charities £15.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Stockbury CP/AP       Hollingbourne PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place: Stockbury

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.