Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for STOKE-MANDEVILLE

STOKE-MANDEVILLE, a parish in Wycombe district, Bucks; 3 miles SSE of Aylesbury r. station. Post town, Aylesbury. Acres, 1,460. Real property, £2,728. Pop., 477. Houses, 104. The property is much subdivided. A monument, 26 feet high, has been erected to the famous John Hampden. The living is a vicarage, united with Buckland, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £180.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is good; and a chapel of ease is in a detached tract, 6 miles distant. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Stoke Mandeville CP/AP/Ch       Wycombe PLU/RegD       Buckinghamshire AncC
Place: Stoke Mandeville

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.