Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for STRANTON

STRANTON, a township and a parish in Hartlepool district, Durham. The township lies on the coast, and contains West Hartlepool town r. station and harbour. Post town, West Hartlepool. Acres, 3,695; of which 357 are water. Real property, £124,387; of which £79,948 are in railways, and £1,100 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 4,008; in 1861, 13,601. Houses, 2,369. The parish contains also Seaton-Carew and Brierton townships, and comprises 9,308 acres. Pop. in 1851, 4,769: in 1861, 14,515. Houses, 2,560. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £280.* Patron, Sir M. W. Ridley. The church is good; and it occupies the site of a more ancient church, given by Robert Bruce to Guisbrough priory. The p. curacies of Christchurch, Holy Trinity, and Seaton-Carew are separate benefices. See Hartlepool (West).


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Stranton AP/CP       Hartlepool PLU/RegD       County Durham AncC
Place: Stranton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.