Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SURBITON

SURBITON, a chapelry in Kingston-upon-Thames parish, Surrey; on the Southwestern railway, in the southern outskirts of Kingston. It was constituted in 1845; and it has a post-office‡ under Kingston-upon-Thames, and a r. station with telegraph. Rated property, £21,000. Pop., 4,691. Houses, 726. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £150. Patrons, the Contts Family. The church was built in 1845; and is in the later English style, with tower and spire. An Independent chapel was built in 1866; and a Wesleyan chapel, used also as a temperance hall, was built in 1861. There are also a Roman Catholic chapel, and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Kingston upon Thames AP/CP       Surrey AncC
Place: Surbiton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.