Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SWANAGE, or Swanwich

SWANAGE, or Swanwich, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wareham district, Dorset. The village stands on S. bay, 9 miles SE of Wareham r. station; was known, at Domesday, as Swanawic or Sonwic; is a sub-port to Poole, and a pleasant watering-place; consists chiefly of one street, nearly a mile long; commands a fine view of the Hants coast and the Isle of Wight; enjoys very fine environs, with many interesting natural features; and has a post-office‡ under Wareham, a banking office, two chief inns, an ancient cruciform church restored in 1860, two dissenting chapels, and a coastguard station. S. bay is proximately semi-circular, on a chord of 1¾ mile; has a depth of from 5 to 8 fathoms; and affords good shelter in westerly winds. The parish includes Herston and Ulwell hamlets; and comprises 2,953 acres of land, and 240 of water. Real property, £4,819. Pop., 2,004. Houses, 445. The property is subdivided. Building stone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £555.* Patron, J. H. Calcraft, Esq.—The sub-district contains four parishes. Acres, 15,872. Pop., 3,682. Houses, 798.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Swanage CP/AP       Swanage SubD       Wareham and Purbeck PLU/RegD       Dorset AncC
Place names: SONWIC     |     SWANAGE     |     SWANAGE OR SWANWICH     |     SWANAWIC     |     SWANWICH
Place: Swanage

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.