Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SWANSCOMBE

SWANSCOMBE, a parish in Dartford district, Kent; on the river Thames, and on the North Kent railway, between Greenhithe and Northfleet r. stations, 5 miles E of Dartford. It contains Greenhithe, and has a post-office under Dartford. Acres, 2,593; of which 405 are water. Real property, £11,122. Pop. in 1851, 1,763; in 1861, 2,323. houses, 414. The manor was known at Domesday, as Swene's Camp; took that name from a winter-camp, formed by Sweyne the Dane, to protect his fleet; passed to W. de Valence, and the Mortimers; was given, by Queen Elizabeth, to the Weldons; went afterwards to the Childs; and passed to the Earl of Jersey. The manor-house is an ancient building, now occupied by J. Coveney, Esq. S. Wood is a famous rural retreat, frequented by gipsying parties; and contains a cavern, called Clappernappers Hole, associated with much curious legend. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £600.* Patron, Sidney-Sussex College, Cambridge. The church is partly transition Norman, and claims to be Saxon. There are alms- house s, and other charities £23.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Swanscombe CP/AP       Dartford PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place names: SWANSCOMBE     |     SWENES CAMP
Place: Swanscombe

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.