Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SWITHLAND

SWITHLAND, a parish, with a village, in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicester; 2½ miles SW of Mount-sorrel, and 4 WSW of Sileby r. station. It has a post-office under Loughborough. Acres, 2,180. Real property, £2,018; of which £37 are in blue-slate quarries. Pop., 255. Houses, 53. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to the Earl of Lanesborough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £300. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English. There is a Wesleyan chapel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Swithland CP/AP       Barrow upon Soar PLU/RegD       Leicestershire AncC
Place: Swithland

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.