Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for THOYDON-GARNON, or Coopersale

THOYDON-GARNON, or Coopersale, a parish in Epping district, Essex; 2 miles SSE of Epping r. station. It has a post-office, of the name of Coopersale, under Epping. Acres, 3,161. Real property, £6,512. Pop. in 1851, 1,237; in 1861, 1,095, -of whom 101 were in Epping workhouse. Houses, 217. T. Place, T. Grove, Gaynes Park, Coopersale Hall, Coopersale Lodge, Langham Lodge, Kendall Lodge, and the Rectory are chief residences. The living is a rectory in The diocese of Rochester. Value, £700.* Patron, Sir T. N. Abdy, Bart. The vicarage of Coopersale is a separate benefice, of the value of £126, in the patronage of Miss A. Houblon. The parochial church is of the 13th century, with a steeple of 1522, and was restored in 1868. Coopersale church was built in 1852. There are national schools, alms houses with £12 a year, and other charities nearly £110.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Theydon Garnon CP/AP       Epping PLU/RegD       Essex AncC
Place names: COOPERSALE     |     THOYDON GARNON     |     THOYDON GARNON OR COOPERSALE
Place: Theydon Garnon

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.