Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for TIMPERLEY

TIMPERLEY, a township and a chapelry in Bowdon parish, Cheshire. The township lies on the Manchester and Altrincham railway, 1½ mile ENE of Altrincham; contains a small village and numerous villas; and has a post-office under Manchester, and a r. station with telegraph. Acres, 1,628. Real property, £11,290; of which £60 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,008; in 1861, 1,571. Houses, 317. T. Lodge, Pickering Lodge, and Cloverley House are chief residences. Market gardening is largely carried on.—The chapelry was constituted in 1852. Pop. in 1861, 2,256. Houses, 453. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £200.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1849, and enlarged in 1865. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £20.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Bowdon AP/CP       Timperley Tn/CP       Cheshire AncC
Place: Timperley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.