Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for TILBURY (West)

TILBURY (West), a parish in Orsett district, Essex; near Low-street r. station, and extending south-westward to the Thames at Tilbury Fort. It has a post-office under Romford. Acres, 2,086; of which 255 are water. Real property, £783. Pop., 385. Houses, 57. A mineral spring was discovered in 1727. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £558.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient. Archbishop Land was rector.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: West Tilbury AP/CP       Orsett PLU/RegD       Essex AncC
Place names: TILBURY     |     TILBURY WEST     |     WEST TILBURY
Place: West Tilbury

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.