Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for TILBURY (East)

TILBURY (East), a parish in Orsett district, Essex; on the Thames, 1 mile ESE of Low-Street r. station, and 5 E by S of Grays-Thurrock. Post town, West Tilbury, under Romford. Acres, 3,237; of which 1,125 are water. Real property, £3,563. Pop., 403. Houses, 79. The property is much subdivided. T. House is the seat of E. Williams, Esq. The residence of St. Chad, Bishop of the East Saxons, was here. An ancient ferry over the Thames also was here; and is believed to have been that by which the Emperor Claudius crossed the river in pursuit of the Britons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £244.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old but good; and had a lofty tower which, in the time of Charles II., was battered down by the Dutch fleet. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: East Tilbury AP/CP       Orsett PLU/RegD       Essex AncC
Place names: EAST TILBURY     |     TILBURY     |     TILBURY EAST
Place: East Tilbury

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.