Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for THURROCK (West)

THURROCK (West), a parish in Orsett district, Essex; on the Thames, 1¼ mile W by S of Grays r .station. It includes Purfleet; and it has a post-office under Romford. Acres, 3,607; of which 700 are water. Real property, £6,131. Pop. in 1851, 835; in 1861, 1,039. Houses, 122. The increase of pop. arose partly from augmentation of the Ordnance establishment at Purfleet. The property is not much divided. Much of the land is marsh. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £306.* Patron, S. Whitbread, Esq. The church is Saxon or Early Norman.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: West Thurrock CP/AP       Orsett PLU/RegD       Essex AncC
Place names: THURROCK     |     THURROCK WEST     |     WEST THURROCK
Place: West Thurrock

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.