Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for THURROCK (Little)

THURROCK (Little), a parish in Orsett district, Essex; 1 mile E of Grays r. station. Post town, Grays, under Romford. Acres, 1,495; of which 160 are water. Real property, £2,708. Pop., 294. Houses, 66. T. Hall is the seat of T. W. Towson, Esq. There are chalk pits, and several remarkable chalk caves. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £523.* Patrons, the Trustees of the late Rev. E. Bowlby. The church is good.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Little Thurrock AP/CP       Orsett PLU/RegD       Essex AncC
Place names: LITTLE THURROCK     |     THURROCK     |     THURROCK LITTLE
Place: Little Thurrock

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.