Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for TOWEDNACK

TOWEDNACK, a parish in Penzance district, Cornwall; 2½ miles SW of St. Ives, and 4¾ W by N of Hayle r. station. Post town, St. Ives, Cornwall. Acres, 2,794. Real property, £2,360. Pop., 1,007. Houses, 195. The manor belongs to the Duke of Cleveland and W. B. Praed, Esq. Amal-Widden was the seat of the Hingestons, and is now a farm-house. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Lelant. The church is curious but not good. There are four Methodist chapels. A cattle fair is held on 26 Sept.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Towednack CP/Ch       Penzance PLU/RegD       Cornwall AncC
Place: Towednack

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.