Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for UPOTTERY

UPOTTERY, a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands on the river Otter, 5 miles NNE of Honiton r. station; and has a post-office under Honiton, and a cattle fair on 17 Oct. The parish includes Rawridge tything, and comprises 5,830 acres. Real property, £6,806. Pop. in 1851, 1,042; in 1861, 940. Houses, 208. The manor, with U. House and about two-thirds of the property, belongs to Viscount Sidmonth. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £392.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of E. The church is ancient but good. There are Independent and Baptist chapels, a national school, and charities £17.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Upottery CP/AP       Honiton PLU/RegD       Devon AncC
Place: Upottery

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.