Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WALTHAM

WALTHAM, a parish, with W. village and Handwell-Green hamlet, in Bridge district, Kent; 4 miles E by N of Wye r. station, and 7 SSW of Canterbury. Post town, Canterbury. Acres, 3,215. Real property, £3,174. Pop., 608. Houses, 118. The manor belonged once to the Knights Templar. Wadden Hall, North Lye, and Thorn are chief places. The living is a vicarage, united with Petham, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £535. Patron, alternately the Archbishop of and SirHoneywood, Bart. The church is early English and good. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Waltham AP/CP       Kent AncC
Place: Waltham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.