Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WAVERLEY

WAVERLEY, an extra-parochial ville in Farnham district, Surrey; 2 miles SE of Farnham. Acres, 525. Real property, £943. Pop., 52. Houses, 11. W. Abbey is the seat of S. Nicholson, Esq. A Cistertian abbey, the earliest in England, was founded here, by Bishop Giffard, in 1128; went, at the dissolution, to the Fitzwilliams; and has left some ruins in the park.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "an extra-parochial ville"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Farnham PLU/RegD       Surrey AncC
Place: Waverley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.