Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WAVERTON

WAVERTON, a township and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The township lies on the Chester and Crewe railway, and on the Chester and Ellesmere canal, 4 miles SE of Chester; and has a post-office under Chester, and a r. station. Acres, 1,145. Real property, £2,424. Pop., 337. Houses, 63. The parish contains also Huxley and Hatton townships, and comprises 4,027 acres. Pop., 736. Houses, 136. W. Manor belongs to the Marquis of Westminster; and Hatton manor, to Lord Henry Cholmondeley. Lower Huxley Hall was a seat of the Clives, and is now a farmhouse. There are cement-works, a steam flour-mill, a coal wharf, and a quarry. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £110.* Patron, the Bishop ofThe church is later English and good. There are two dissenting chapels, two national schools, and charities £5.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Waverton AP/CP       Great Boughton PLU       Cheshire AncC
Place: Waverton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.