Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WHITNEY

WHITNEY, a parish, with a village, in the district of Hay and county of Hereford; on the river Wye, and on the Hereford and Brecon railway, 4¾ miles NE of Hay. It has a post-office under Hereford, and a r. station. Acres, 1,483. Real property, £2,616. Pop., 260. Houses, 53. The manor, with W. Court, belongs to T. Dew, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £200.* Patron, T. Dew, Esq. The church is good; and there is a Baptist chapel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Whitney CP/AP       Herefordshire AncC
Place: Whitney

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.