Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WHITTINGTON

WHITTINGTON, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Lancaster; 2 miles SW of Kirkby-Lonsdale r. station. It has a post-office under Burton, Westmoreland. Acres, 4,322. Real property, £5,389. Pop., 421. Houses, 80. The property is subdivided. W. Hall is the seat of T. Greene, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £415.* Patron, E. Hornby, Esq. The church is good; and there are an endowed school with £18 a year, and charities £26.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Whittington AP/CP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Whittington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.