Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WHITWOOD

WHITWOOD, a township and two chapelries in Featherstone parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 2 miles E of Normanton r. station, and 4½ NW of Pontefract; and has a post-office under Normanton. Acres, 1,045. Real property, £6,179; of which £2,400 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 576; in 1861, 1,723. Houses, 324. The increase of pop. arose from demand for coals in the neighbouring townships. The manor belongs to Lord Mexborough. The manufacture of earthenware, sanatory pipes, bricks, and tiles is largely carried on. -The chapelries are W.-Mere and W.-St. Philip; and the former was constituted in 1865, the latter in 1866. The livings are rectories in the diocese of York. Value, of W.-M., £150; of Whitwood-St. P., £107. Patron of both, the Archbishop of York. W.-M. church was built in 1865, and is in the early English style. There are a Wesleyan chapel and colliery-schools.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and two chapelries"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Featherstone CP/AP/Tn       Whitwood CP/Tn       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Whitwood

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.