Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WIGSTON-MAGNA

WIGSTON-MAGNA, a large village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Blaby district, Leicestershire. The village stands near the Leicester and Market-Harborough and the Leicester and Rugby railways, 4 miles SSE of Leicester; has recently undergone much improvement; carries on considerable trade, in framework-knitting and in other departments; and has a post-office‡ under Leicester, two r. stations, a mortuary old church with restored tower and spire, a handsome parochial church with lofty spire, an ornate Independent chapel of 1841, three other dissenting chapels, national and British schools, alms houses with £151 a year, and other charities £66. The parish comprises 2,780 acres. Real property, £9,863. Pop. in 1851, 2,441; in 1861, 2,521. Houses, 556. The property is much subdivided. W. Hall is the seat of M. Turner, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £220.* Patron, alternately the Haberdashers' Company and Christ's Hospital, London.—The sub-district contains 5 parishes and 2 parts. Acres, 13,210. Pop., 7,314. Houses, 1,630.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a large village, a parish, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Wigston Magna CP/AP       Blaby PLU/RegD       Leicestershire AncC
Place: Wigston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.