Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ALVERTHORPE

ALVERTHORPE, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Wakefield parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the Midland railway, 1½ mile NW of Wakefield; and has a post office under Wakefield. The township bears the name of Alverthorpe with-Thornes; lies partly within the borough boundaries of Wakefield; and contains the hamlets of Fanshaw, Kirkham-Gate, and Silcoates, and part of the hamlet of Newton. Acres, 3,153. Real property, £23,690. Pop., 6,645. Houses, 1,423. The property is much subdivided.—The chapelry was constituted in 1830. Pop., 4,590. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Wakefield. The church is large, modern, and handsome. There are three Methodist chapels, the Northern Congregational grammar school, four national schools, and charities £50.-The subdistrict is co-extensive with the township.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Wakefield AP/CP       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Alverthorpe

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.