Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ANCASTER

ANCASTER a village and a parish in Grantham district, Lincoln The village adjoins the Grantham and Boston railway, on the line of Ermine-street, 8 miles NE of Grantham. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Grantham. It gave the title of Duke, now extant, to the Berties of Uffington. A Roman station either Cansennæ or Crocolana, occupied its site; and many Roman coins, bricks, and other relics have been found. A spot in the neighbourhood was the scene of a victory, in 1643, over the Parliamentarians. The parish contains also the hamlets of Sudbrooke and West Willoughby. Acres, 2,800. Real property, £4,241. Pop., 682. Houses, 139. The property is much subdivided. The chief residences are Ancaster Hall, Sudbrooke Hall, and West Willoughby Hall. A tract which formerly was a common, wild and barren, is now enclosed and fertile. A fine oolitic building-stone is extensively quarried; has been used for Belvoir Castle, Wollaton Hall, and other great edifices; and is well exemplified in the parsonage, which was built in 1842. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £160.* Patron, the Rev. Z. S. Warren. The church is a mixture of Norman and early English. There are two Methodist chapels, and charities £7.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Ancaster CP/AP       Grantham PLU/RegD       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Ancaster

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.