Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ANCROFT

ANCROFT, a township and a parochial chapelry in Berwick district, Northumberland. The township lies in a pleasant vale, 4 miles NW of Scremerston r. sta tion, and 5½ S of Berwick; and has a post office under Berwick. The chapelry comprises also the townships of Cheswick, Haggerston, and Scremerston; lies along the coast; and is traversed by the Northeastern railway. Acres, 10,210; of which 640 are water. Real property, £18,055,-of which £3,611 are in mines, quarries, and fisheries. Pop., 2,113. Houses, 378. The property is divided among a few. The chief residences are Cheswick House and Haggerston Castle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £131.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is a very old edifice, with a square tower; belonged formerly to Holy Island; and is in good condition. The vicarage of Scremerston is a separate benefice.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parochial chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Berwick PLU/RegD       Northumberland AncC
Place: Ancroft

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.